We hope you taste and enjoy these tropical fruits while traveling in Vietnam
1. Thanh long – Dragon Fruit:
– Taste: Sweet, slightly sour.
– Season: October, November, April and May.
- Popular Area: South Vietnam, growing popular in some Provinces like Bình Thuận, Long An, Tiền Giang.
2. Mít – Jackfruit:
– Taste: Sweet taste, sweet smell.
– Season: Riping in late summer (July – August). In the south, the to nu jackfruit harvest season starts from March to June.
– Popular area: Northern to Southern Vietnam, both in the city and country side. Jackfruit without seeds are planted densely in the Mekong Delta region.
3. Măng cụt – Mangosteen:
– Taste: light and pure refreshment, soft sour and sweet.
– Season: June to August
– Popular area: Southern Vietnam
4. Sầu riêng – Durian:
– Taste: “Smell like the hell. Taste like the heaven”. Durian has the dense fragrance which spreads near and far, lingers a long time before disappearing. At first, you may find durian’s smell extremely unpleasant. Then if you can eat it. You will love it. Sweet, a little greasy like butter.
– Season: May – September.
– Popular area: Western Vietnam
5. Bưởi – Pomelo:
– Taste: Sweet and good in taste, strong flavor, a little sour and bitter. You will either love it or hate it!
– Season: August, December.
– Popular area: Mostly in the South, although some cultivates can be grown in the Central areas and even the North (as in Ninh Binh province). Main production areas in Vietnam are Vinh Long, Ben Tre, Dong Nai, Binh Duong, Hue, Phu Tho, and Ha Tinh provinces and Hanoi.
6. Gấc – Baby Jackfruit:
– Taste: blank taste, being used to change color and flavor of food.
– Season: December and January.
– Popular area: Northern and Southern Vietnam.
7. Vú sữa – Star Apple:
– Taste: fragrantly sweet and milky white like breast milk.
– Season: February, March.
– Popular area: Cần Thơ province in Mekong Delta.
8. Bòn bon – Langsat:
– Taste: quite sour before ripe, but are perfectly sweet and juicy when ripe.
– Season: From May to October.
– Popular area: Central of Vietnam, mostly in Quang Nam.
9. Chôm chôm – Vietnamese rambutan:
– Taste: wonderful sweet flavor.
– Season: rainy season.
– Popular area: Vinh Long province.
10. Hồng Xiêm – Vietnam Sapodilla:
– Taste: juicy and has a molasses-like taste
– Season: every month of year.
– Popular area: Northern Vietnam, and the place that has the best one is Xuan Dinh, Tu Liem District, Hanoi.